Enjoy this next episode of The Midlife Reinvention Podcast, as Helen Hirsh Spence reminds us to believe in the untapped potential of people, regardless of their age. As Helen so rightly says, “don’t ever think it’s too late to do anything. It’s Not!”
Helen is an Age Provocateur, a Mindset Shifter, and Thought Leader who speaks about the positives of ageing and the inherent negatives of ageism. She created Top Sixty Over Sixty, a niche age diversity consultancy, to provide age equity tools and training to businesses, and to support individuals who are seeking reinvention as they transition to their next stage of life with purpose.
You can find Helen here:
Here are her Key Takeaways:
- People are beginning to realize that 50 is not old! Retirement age is something that was established in the 1930’s and we still adhere to this belief which has no bearing on current findings.
- A child born today has a 50-50 chance of having an average lifespan of 100, and that really changes the whole trajectory of lives!
- Their needs to be an awareness of the capacity of those of us who are aging, and stop relating it to our grandparent’s area.
- Employers need to retain their older workers or rehire older employees because they bring a wealth of experience and expertise. They are trainable!
- It’s about a change in attitude, and a belief in oneself. Confidence has been eroded by the market which caters to a youth centric world. Instead of realizing that we are the ones that have 75% of the wealth today – marketers are still catering to younger people. There is tremendous potential in the “silver economy”
- Experience trumps knowledge and skill – we can learn almost anything if we want to! Our brain has developed crystallized intelligence – we may not process as quickly when we were young when we had fluid intelligence, but that peaks at age 30 and from that point on is crystallized. Instead of a dirt road – there are highways interconnected – and that’s what experience enables you to see and do
- There is so many different ways that we have to raise awareness and educate people about what it means to get old, and we have to start at a very young age – as early as age 4 where children already have a negative attitude towards getting older. Older men are portrayed as wizards whereas older women are witches!
- Don’t ever think it’s too late to do anything. It’s not. We all don’t know how long we have left but if you can find something that you believe in, it can add 7.5 years to your life.
We are excited to announce our new Group Coaching program – “It’s My Time Now!” starting on October 17th for 6 transformational weekly sessions. We are taking names of those interested now. Reach out to me at: email@example.com for all the details!
For a complimentary coaching consultation with Kavita, Let’s chat.
As a Certified Women’s Midlife Transition Coach, I can help you develop the confidence to rediscover who you are, what you want, and how to get there, so you can be the most fulfilled you have ever been. Reach us here: